Update available for WBRC Weather app | News
BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC)-
A new version of the WBRC Wx app is now available for iPhone or iPod Touch
Version 2.0 was released Thursday in the App Store. New features include push
alerts for severe weather warnings and the ability to submit weather photos and
videos to FOX6 News.
The alerts are sent based on the device's location, using GPS. This means you
don't have to select any particular county - you are simply warned if severe
weather is threatening the current location of your device.
You can customize what type or "class" of alert you wish to receive,
or choose to select none. Severe weather is selected by default. Options
"Severe" is the default selection if you opt-in on the first install
of the app. Opting in to notifications is an Apple requirement.
To customize the alert settings, click the "i" icon in the top right
corner of the app screen. Then, scroll down to the "Weather Alerts"
and select which type of alert you want. Once you have selected your type,
click "Done" at the top of the app screen.
If you are running iOS 5.0 or newer, you can also customize how you want your
alerts displayed. To do this, go to the Settings app on your iPhone, then click
"Notifications" and then select "WBRC Wx" and follow the
Other new features include:
- The ability to plot watch and warning outlines from either the US National
Weather Service or Environment Canada. For example, users can overlay current
radar over the outline of the latest severe thunderstorm warning.
- "As you type" location searching will make adding additional
locations to your favorite list easier and more intuitive. In addition, changes
have been made to the overall user interface for location editing.
All versions of the app offer:
• Interactive map optimized for 3G and WiFi performance
• Vertical and horizontal map display with animated radar map looping
• NOWRAD, a highly responsive modern radar map display
• Storm tracking to show which way storms are moving
• Current temperatures, high temperature, low temperature, dewpoint
• Highest resolution satellite cloud imagery available
• Exclusive Road Weather Index (patent pending)
• Color-coded weather alerts arranged by severity
• Fully-integrated GPS for current location awareness
• Integrated compass overlay for iPhone 3GS and 4 models
• Video forecasts from the FOX6 WBRC Weather team
• Accurate 10-day forecasts with both daily and hourly detail
• Sunrise, sunset, UV index
• Ability to easily save your favorite locations
• Customize display settings for map layers (radar, satellite, road weather,
wind speed, tropical satellite)
• Custom overlays (turn on or off): Earthquakes, Storm Tracks, Tropical Tracks,
• Display temperature units in Farenheit or Celsius
• Display wind units in Mph or Kph
• Full-featured and user tested
• Earthquake plotting - tap on an earthquake to display its detail
• Full featured and user tested
• Weather Widget for unlock page
• Storm Track Plotting
• Tropical Track Plotting
• Status bar alert acknowledgement
• Alerts over map on/off switch in settings
• English and Spanish support (version 1.6 and higher)
For more information, visit:
Copyright 2012 WBRC. All rights reserved.