Protecting your vehicle from break-ins and theft | Crime
As the temperatures get warmer it can be tempting to leave the AC running in your car while you pop into the store or your house. But Birmingham Police have noticed an increase in car thefts and break-ins of vehicles that are left unattended.
No matter where you live, their tips for keeping your car safe can prevent thieves from helping themselves to your property:
- Never leave your vehicle running and unattended while in your home or in a store. This has become one of the most common forms of stolen vehicles.
- Park in a well lit area at night or when shopping.
- Equip your vehicle with an anti-theft device.
- Close all windows and lock all doors.
- Keep your tag number and vehicle identification number in your wallet.
- Don’t leave valuables in plain view.
- Don’t leave GPS mounts attached to windows.
- After shopping, don’t leave packaging of expensive gifts in the front of your residence for garbage pick-up. If possible, break down the packaging and place it in garbage bags or cans. You can also transport packaging to area land fields for disposal.